Deadline for application submission: 29 February 2020
Scope of the Prize: As for the three past editions of the Prize of Excellence set up by IUIS in 2017, the 2020 Prize edition aims at rewarding significant achievements in Vaccines R&D in Europe. This includes the discovery of new vaccine antigens, new vaccines design, understanding the basics of immune responses, new technologies that will improve the future of vaccines and vaccination and that are supported by proof-of-concept data (preclinical and clinical).
Criteria for application
- Academia: Associate Prof or Senior PostDoc level
- Europe based research
- Research report with own achievements in vaccinology/R&D
- Publication list of the last 5 years
The IUIS continues promoting and fostering the young generation of scientists in their career. Therefore, the prize should focus on Associate professors or Senior PostDoc established in Europe (having worked some years in the field of vaccinology and having already established their own working group/lab). Here is what your application should look like:
- a 5-page expose (max), in pdf format
- 1 paragraph summary of the research topic that also states the goal of the research
- A short resumé of the last 5 years
- A selection of the 10 most important publications of the last 5 years. Denote what the most important findings have been!
- your CV
- proof of memberships (IUIS, EFIS or any European Immunology/Vaccinology Society – This award is supposed to reward the research and development in Europe)
- Application Announcement: December 2019
- Deadline for application submission: 29 February 2020
- Decision of winner: March 2020
- Announcement of winner: April 2020
- Award of the prize to the winner: during the European Immunisation Week (20–26 April 2020) in Vienna, Austria (date to be confirmed)
Process of application and selection
- Application must be sent to the IUIS Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
- IUIS will distribute of applications to the IUIS Vaccine Application Committee (VAC) to verify application quality and applicant status to ensure alignment with the established award rules
- A Jury composed of 2-3 members of IUIS (president, member of executive committee, chair/member of VAC) and 1 or 2 members of the commission will select the winner amongst the applications received. One representative from Vaccines Europe will join the Jury as an observer.
- Announcement of the winner by the IUIS president and IUIS VAC chairmen
- Ursula Wiedermann – Chair of the IUIS Vaccine Committe
- Rita Carsetti
- Joanne Flynn
- Isabelle Bekeredijan-Ding
- Jan Holmgren
- Ed Lavelle
- Hedda Wardemann
- Winfried Pickl – IUIS Council member
- Observers: Philippe Denoel – Chair of Vaccines Europe Research Working Group, Faith Osier – IUIS President
Process of Prize Award
- The winners will receive the money in the year of selection, meaning before the end of 2019 for the first prize and before the end of 2020 for the second prize
- The IUIS President accompanied by the VAC chairman and a VE representative will hand over prize certificates to the winners of the two prizes during an Award Ceremony organized in April 2020 in the frame of the European Immunisation Week in Vienna, Austria (date of the Award ceremony to be confirmed)
- During the award ceremony, the winners will present his/her research topics in form of a short lecture (15-20 minutes)
- Prize amount of 10 000 EUR
- Legitimate expenses (travel, accommodation, meal) for the winner to attend the Award Ceremony will be refund based on invoices and receipts provided by the winner.
Winners’ conference registration fees will not be covered.
A first interim report is to be submitted to the IUIS by the end of 2019, describing how the Prize funds are to be allocated. By the end of the first quarter of 2020, a final report is due, outlining how the funds were spent.
Application must be sent to the IUIS Secretariat: email@example.com – Applications are due by February 29, 2020 .